Sunday, January 17, 2021

procrastination

 As a student in high school, I was often amazed at what I was willing to do rather than study for a testI was King of Procrastinationdelaying a task even though knew the wait would come at a costMy father called it laziness,” but I wasn’t convinced that was the root cause. 

Studies have found that procrastination is less about avoiding work (research here) and more about avoiding the negative emotions attached to an activityThis means if you want to procrastinate less, it is not about work ethic but about changing how you feel about a task. 


One suggestion is to try self-compassionRemember that we are human and are going to make mistakesResearch shows the biggest barrier to self-compassion is fearing that you might lose your edgeHowever, the opposite is truePeople who show self-compassion show greater motivation. 


Another option: work with someone who is more productive than the average personResearch shows that when you work with someone who is very productive, your own productivity increasesWhen I was a teen, I noticed that when I was with a peer group that took school more seriously, my study habits improved.

 

Procrastination is something that most of us will continually fightRemember, however, it is not laziness that needs to be changed but your emotions relating to the taskThink about trying one of the practices I suggested above and see if it helps youJust knowing laziness wasn’t my problem made me feel better about myself. 

1 comment:

  1. Honestly, I feel like procrastination won't change much for me at this point in my academic career. I'm at a point where graduation is close, my GPA won't change much, and I can relax more. It feels like I can finally pursue my interests as opposed to other years in College which were just work. Like, I can procrastinate now by working on a Udemy course or my senior project, which both have to do with my career field when I graduate. Granted, procrastination is more often than not very bad, but it feels like it's something I can do right now.

    ReplyDelete