Sunday, January 10, 2021

Tough year to Teach

 As happens during the holiday season, I was eating with a friend I have not seen in a whileHe said, “This must be a really tough year to be a teacherI bet it had you thinking about retiring.” His comment made me reflect on this past year as a teacherHere are a few of my thoughts. 

A few months ago, former student who really underachieved in high school wrote me a letterThis student had many personal and family issues that prevented them from focusing on schoolHowever, when they were able to focus, they produced excellent workLife seemed to settle down in college, and they wrote me to tell me that they were graduating and had been hired for their dream job 


More recently, parent wrote me a letter updating on how well all her children were doingHer oldest had used me as a role model, she said, and he is now mentoring underprivileged studentsIt was gratifying to think of myself as a role model and great to hear that I could have had some impact on her kids. 


The crazy part is, I think my students have helped me more that I can ever help them. Reading their posts and blogs on social justice.  Watching them navigate their jobs from home while they are raising there kids.   It is inspiring to see what they are accomplishing as they continue in many ways to make the world a better place. 


My friend was right, this has been a difficult year to be a teacher, student, or parent. I am going to choose, however, to remember the positive things that happened this year to continue to inspire me to do the best job possible. 


In 2020, what good things happened to you? 

7 comments:

  1. I was sent home from study abroad but got an awesome
    Job as a vet nurse when I got home that I wouldn’t trade for the world! Glad to hear your staying positive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started practicing gratitude on a daily basis. Something that you taught me many years ago! It makes a world of difference in your mindset, and makes you appreciate the small (and big!) miracles all around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. three good things are so important to keeping a positive mindset especially when things get out of whack.

      Delete
  3. Hey Mr. B— what’s the best way to get in touch with you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just found this blog and have high hopes for it to continue. Keep up the great work, its hard to find good ones. I have added to my favorites. Thank You. teach to one

    ReplyDelete