Sunday, October 25, 2020

embrace the struggle

 

I recently celebrated my first birthday since my Dad died.  This of course triggered memories of lessons he would share with me over the course of my lifetime.  Like most kids, I was very impatient with my progress, especially in basketball  


Instead of feeling sorry for me, my Dad would tell me how lucky I was that I had to put so much effort into making myself a better shooter.  “Those who have early success without effort can have a hard time repeating that success, he explained.  He also pointed out that the achievements I enjoyed the most were those for which I had to overcome obstacles. 


This subject often comes up with students who see others have an easier time with something they find difficult.  The truth is that if you figure out how to master the material that you are struggling with now, then you have gained a very important life skillone that you can use repeatedly in different areas of your life. 


Natural talent is not always a transferrable skill, while hard work, persistence, and passion stay with you for life. 

The next time you are struggling, take a moment to embrace the challenge.  Remember that at the end, the victory is going to taste sweet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment