Sunday, November 18, 2018

social media

This week's thought of the week is coming from a guest Angela Duckworth.  Angela is the person who inspired me to do the thought of the week and is a world known psychologist,  This week she talks about the impact of social media.  As always your thoughts and comments are welcome.

Recently, a friend of mine (who shall remain nameless) was surprised to discover the Instagram app on his cellphone. He soon learned that his teenage daughter had lost her phone that day and, even before figuring out how to get a new one, installed the app on his phone as a stop-gap solution.

God forbid an hour go by without “following” and being “followed” by an astonishing number of “friends.” 

Having his personal phone appropriated in this way emboldened my friend to open the app and see what was going on in the social media universe his daughter seemed to prefer, vastly, to reality.

He saw that she’d posted a selfie and, even as he was looking at it, the number of likes were going up and up. The photo was flattering, and the comments were gushing:

      beautyyyy
      gorgeous!!!!
      soo prettyyyy
      stunning
      love ur outfit
      so hot

All those beautiful photos, positive comments, and “likes,” might suggest that social media makes people happier. 

But what does science have to say about social media and happiness? A recent review suggests social media is a double-edged sword: It cuts both ways.

I’ll give you the bad news first. Passive social media use—scrolling through the photos, status updates, and posts of other people without directly interacting with them—leads you to compare your own mundane, imperfect life with the airbrushed, curated, and filtered lives of your friends and friends’ friends. Envy, in turn, leads to unhappiness. 


But here’s the good news: There’s some evidence that active social media use—posting your own photos and status updates, sending direct messages, sharing links, and even “liking” what you see—can strengthen social connection and reduce feelings of loneliness. 

Unfortunately, social media sites like Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook are used passively for many more hours than they are used actively. The math is obvious when you think about it: You spend a few seconds actively uploading a photo and then dozens if not hundreds of other people collectively devote much more time than that to passively viewing what you’ve posted.

So, even if the sword of social media cuts both ways, it’s usually cutting against happiness.

I’ve heard of parents who prohibit their children from engaging in any kind of social media. But my teenage girls are Instagram and Snapchat veterans. In other words, in my house the social media ship has sailed, and the best I can do now is get it sailing in the right direction.

Don’t assume that social media has no effect on well-being. 

Do share the science on social media with young people who may not fully fathom its effects. It may not earn you “likes” but sometimes the truth isn’t flattering.

If you want to read more from Angela, here is https://www.characterlab.org/thought-of-the-week

3 comments:

  1. I agree with what Dr. Duckworth has to say, for the most part. She didn't include some things about social media (instagram specifically) that are definitely a moral booster, such as when a friend tags you in one of their posts. This may not seem to be how beneficial it really is. Personally, when I see someone has tagged me in a post it makes me really excited and feel really good about my friendship with that person, even if they are not of my closest friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jack, I thought she addressed that part as being positive. What you have to be careful of is the amount of time you are passive compared to the active time. Thanks for taking the time to respond

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Dr. Duckwork that social media can be both a positive and negative moral booster. When I upload any picture or video to Instagram I normally try not to care how many likes or views I receive. I would be lying if I said that if a video I make doesn't get seen by a lot of people I'm happy about it. I need to try and actively interact with my friends on social media rather than just scrolling and liking pictures.

    Stephen Ryan 441-2

    ReplyDelete