Sunday, November 11, 2018

Keep it simple


I remember one of my strongest students asked me to give her an example of a concept which we had just went over.  I thought for a while and then gave her an example in which I thought perfectly demonstrated the concept which we just learned.  

After I was finished speaking my student looked at me and said, “I hope you do not think that helped me” I was surprised, I thought the example was perfect, yet she thought it was of no help.  How can two people be so far apart?  Does this happen in day to day conversation?

This was in the back of my mind when I read about this research.  The psychologist set up a game in which there were two groups of people.  One group was the tappers and the other group was the listeners.  The tappers were given twenty-five well known songs (happy birthday).  Each tapper was asked to pick out a song and tap out the rhythm to the listener.

The listener’s job was to guess the song based on the tapping (you can do this with friends).  During the experiment 120 songs were tapped out and the listeners guessed 3% (3/120) correctly.  Before the listeners guessed the name of the song the tappers were asked to predict the odds that the listener would get it correct.  They predicted 50% would get it correct.

So, what happens is that when the tapper taps they hear the tune in their head so that they think the listener can hear the tune.  The tappers are amazed that listeners cannot get the tune correct.  Just as I was amazed at how my student could not follow my example.  It made perfect sense to me so I thought it would make sense to her.

How can we overcome this problem?  Keep your message simple.  When I was working for Domino’s Pizza our message was 2,000 or more in 84.  Our goal was to have 2,000 stores by the end of 1984 (more than double the size of the company at the start of the year).  This message was simple in that it allowed everyone from the CEO to the drivers at the stores to understand the goal of the company.  It also made decision making easy because no idea was approved unless it helped us build more stores.  Achieving the goal was complex but the message was simple.

Now thinking back to my example, was probably too complex.  Now I try to just answer questions in the simplest way possible.

8 comments:

  1. Oh maaaAAANNN am I learning this lesson HARD in my directing class!! Storytelling is such a valuable skill but not an easy one to learn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this concept has to do with the perspective and the life experiences of one person to another. I've had this happen to me in class where I asked for an example of a relationship in a book we were reading, my teacher was very clear and concise with his response but I had no idea where he was coming from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like this happens in certain classes a lot. All teachers have a different style of teaching that doesn't necessarily match the learning style of the student. Some students may not understand certain topics while other immediately get it. I think the student could use different resources and even other teachers to see topics from a new perspective.

      Delete
  3. I agree Jack that prior knowledge has a lot to do with understanding and communicating. Might be my blog for next week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic article, yet again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe that everyone perceives everything in their own particular way. This can be a very problematic or beautiful thing depending on the situation. Take for example the 8th grade Calvert Hall challenge that I attended. My group of 4 had to solve a variety of problems and i believe that our ability to perceive each question and problem in a different manor allowed for us to come to an answer that we wouldn't have been able to come up with on our own. This can also be a bad thing like working with a group at your job that you dont seem to work well with. Perceiving "tones" differently can make it difficult to work as a team.
    -Vincent Young

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I heard your example of the learning separation between you and the student I immediately thought of one thing. When I record myself talking I hear myself sounding a certain way. When I play the recording back the voice is almost unrecognizable. So I can understand why you thought you were giving the student great advice just for her to say that it did not help her at all. Just like my voice sounds one way to me but completely different when it is played back through recording. It is very important for students to let teachers know if the advice they are given doesn't help them because the teacher will think that they are helping the student but in reality, they could be hurting the student's learning ability.

    Stephen Ryan 441-2

    ReplyDelete