Sunday, April 15, 2018

Stress





In talking with my students, I realized how stressful their senior year can be.  They start their year crafting their college essays, then begin the application process, then the waiting game of do I get in or not, then some rejections, and then where do I go?  During this time, they also are thinking about their grades, what do I wear to prom?  Whom am I going with?  And of course, how am I going to ask them?  With all that in mind I thought I would just put together some thoughts on stress.

They did a study of 30,000 adults across the United States.  They asked them two questions.

1.      How would you rate the amount of stress you have in your life?

2.      Do you think stress is good or bad for you?

The bad news is that 43% of these adults died within the eight-year period that this group was followed.  What they found out however, is that everyone who died thought that stress was bad for them.  That people with high stress were healthy if they thought stress was good for them.  So, the fact is, that it is not stress that kills you, but the fact that you think that stress is bad for you that kills you.

Now think for a second what stresses you out?  I would say my family (worried about them) my job, my friends and my students (also worried about them).  Think for a second if you wiped out all the things that stress you out you would have a pretty empty life.  So, to have a fulfilling life we need stress in it.  Why not make it our friend.

Now often when you are about to take an exam, teachers will tell you to relax and not to worry.  Our intentions are good since we want all our students to be successful.  In another research project they took college students and split them into two groups.  The control group was told to relax before the test and take deep breathes.  The experimental group was told

               That stress is just showing you that you are excited

               That stress is allowing more oxygen to go to your brain to help you during the test

               That stress is an energizer to help you

               Lastly that research shows that students who feel stress will perform well.

When the results came back the students in the experimental group outperformed the students who were told to relax.  That feeling stress before the test was used by the experimental group to enhance performance.  The same way athletes use the excitement of a big game to enhance their performance.  This positive mindset about stress probably will carry over into other stressful events such as job interviews, speeches etc.

How do you change your mind set about stress?  First thing is to acknowledge the event that might be causing you stress.  Then I try to think about how the stress is just preparing me for the event that is occurring.  That my mind and body are just getting ready so that I can handle the event.  Secondly, try to help someone else during these times.  While this is often difficult to do when you feel overwhelmed, I have found being compassionate during these times energizes my body.  Lastly, just continue to talk and think that stress is good for you.

Hope this helps.  As always truly appreciate your thoughts and your feedback

2 comments:

  1. "If you wiped out all the things that stress you out, you'd have a pretty empty life."

    Yes. But also there's a difference between having a 'full life' and having a 'busy life'.

    There are plenty of things that I could wipe out of my life that would make my life less stressful and, actually, fuller. I think we need to wipe out things that add extraneous stress. Stuff we don't really care about, stuff we were gonna do halfway anyways.

    Though sometimes the real stress-reducing work is reevaluating our assessment of 'halfway.' It isn't often the projects themselves that are stressful; rather what stresses us out is feeling like we don't live up to the expectations we set for ourselves at the beginning of the project.

    And, often our expectations are unnecessarily high. Yes, I value hard work. But sometimes that value makes me believe that to do a good job on ANYTHING, I have to burn myself into the ground to complete it. Like, "It won't be good unless it's all-consuming." Which is insane. And simply not true.

    We all need a reminder that simple, easy work is often good work too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa, I agree with you that we need to be nicer and kinder to ourselves. That I probably should have put down as one of my stressors is myself. You also triggered another idea about purpose which I will have to expand on. That many times we commit to things that we really do not want to do. Thanks for taking the time to respond

    ReplyDelete