Sunday, April 8, 2018

Step into the arena


Below is a quote from Teddy Roosevelt.    




“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”



What prevents many people from stepping into the arena is fear and self-doubt.  How many great ideas, how many great questions go unheard because people are scared?   While it would be great to promise you that nobody is going to judge you, the truth is that there will always be the critics.  What we need to do is tune out the people who criticize us but are too scared to get into the arena themselves.

The second critic we would need to shut out is ourselves.  Many of us are our own worst critics which often prevents us from the triumphs of high achievement.  What we must realize is that most often what we are trying to accomplish is bigger than us.  That we will make errors along the way but if we continue to follow our passion we will love the journey.

This is not to say that we do not need constructive criticism. I send these essays to two people each week before I publish because I trust that their feedback will make the essay better.  We all need those critical friends who will tell us when we are going down the wrong path, who will pick us up when we fall (we all fall).  What I have found is those who are successful fall at a six and bounce back like a ten.  What we do not need is those people who crush dreams or ideas because they themselves are too scared to enter the arena.

I once worked with a boss who told me “if I am not thinking about firing you every 90 days I am going to fire you” At first this seems like a crazy statement which would increase fear.  However, what my boss wanted was for me to push the envelope so far that it made him uncomfortable.  To take risks because he realized that you could not have a great company if you were doing the norm.

What made my boss special is that he celebrated failures and those who took risks. As you might suspect many successes came out of those failures.  It developed a thought process of if it is not broken break it.  That change is difficult but almost always needed.

So, I will leave you with some questions you can ask yourself as you try to change your mindset to be more comfortable entering the arena.  What did you disagree with today?  What did you learn from somebody who disagreed with you?  What have you failed at recently?  Is there another way to solve that problem?

Look forward to seeing you in the arena.

As usual your feedback and comments are always wanted.




7 comments:

  1. I really look forward to these every week and this one did not disappoint. I would like to think I “step into the arena” everyday but I know it’s not as simple as that. Fear holds us back a lot whether it be fear to fail or fear of what others may think of failure. It’s hard to remember to push away the fear but I think it must be done! Thanks for the thought mr. Bressler

    ReplyDelete
  2. Casey, it I hard to push it away. One of the things I did with the thought of the week was commit to doing it. I do not think of myself as a good writer (yet) nor a very creative person. What I wanted to do was engage you guys into some thoughts outside economics and that to me was more important than how I will be judged. I am sure some people do not like the blog, might make fun of it or me. Rather focus on people like yourself who enjoy it. Thanks for taking the time to read and respond to the blog. I truly appreciate it. Hope this response makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Makes total sense. Thank you for taking the time to do these!

      Delete
  3. I really enjoyed reading this. I definetly have a tendency to be my own worst critic. I especially liked your point about people coming back from failure stronger than they were before. This is a really empowering thought and makes taking risks seem less daunting.
    -Amenda

    ReplyDelete
  4. What did you do when your boss thought about firing you?

    What would you do if the disagreement arises because of too much intensity? If someone wants you to step out of their arena?

    How do you decide which arenas are your own? When is it (if ever) ok to fight in someone else's, on their behalf?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa, thanks for the questions. With my boss I became a bigger risk taker than I was before I worked with them. It made me realize to become great at something you need to push against the norm.

    I think that sometimes you are in an arena with lots of people. I am now in the arena of education trying to make changes that will hopefully make education better for more students. My passion is there and hopefully those of us provide synergy for each other.

    I always think it is right to fight for someone else.

    Amanda, the most successful people I know fail. They are always trying different things, running up against different obstacles but I am amazed at how quickly and strongly they bounce back.

    Thanks to both of you for taking the time to read and comment

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing this! That quote from Teddy Roosevelt is one of the favorites. And I agree with you that the boss you described was indeed a special kind of boss!

    ReplyDelete