Sunday, October 2, 2022

How Olivia Newton-John inspired me

 When I was on vacation this summer Olivia Newton-John passed away. At the time, I was not familiar with her work besides Grease. I then watched a couple of her interviews on YouTube and two themes jumped out at me on every interview; she would discuss how happy she was and how grateful she was for everything in her life.

Olivia, of course, did not have financial worries but she still faced the obstacles we all face during her life. Instead of worrying about why me, she focused, her energy on being grateful for what she had. Gratitude (more here) is an amazing characteristic in that you cannot get too much of it. Grateful people are happier, nicer to others, more cooperative and have better relationships.

On a personal level, I try to express my gratitude. Each day I write down three good things that happened to be the previous day. This especially is important to me on those bad days on which I think there is nothing to be happy about. What I have found is that when I do these three good things it has changed my mindset. Instead of holding on to all the bad things that have happened, I hold onto all the good things.

Secondly, I use to spend time worrying about how people might perceive a letter of gratitude. Now I just write it and send it without any worries. I have learned that people are very appreciative, and it helps build a stronger relationship.

I will allow Olivia Newton-John’s daughter the last words. When asked what was the best career advice (she was also an actor and singer) her mom gave her. She replied, “She never had to give me advice. I watched her every day. She never felt she was bigger than anyone and she was always grateful for everything she had.

No comments:

Post a Comment