Sunday, September 18, 2022

Self-Doubt

 

My friend called me wondering if they should apply for a promotion.  They doubted they had the skills necessary for the new position.  “Their standards are so high that I don’t think any applicant could meet them,” they said.

My friend was worried that if they got promoted, their self-doubt would prevent them from succeeding.  I told them that most people have some self-doubt when taking on a new job.  There would be some obstacles in the way, but they would learn from their mistakes and grow into the position.

Over the years, I have noticed that unsuccessful people seem to wonder, “How did this happen to me?  Why am I faced with such hard obstacles that prevent me from doing my job?”  Successful people, on the other hand, think of these obstacles as a chance to learn and grow from them.

When taking on a new challenge, realize that self-doubt is normal.  Self-doubt is the signal that you are ready to grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment