Sunday, February 20, 2022

confusion

 A few years ago, I sat in on a class taught by a master math teacher.  As the lesson unfolded, I started to become confused. I thought that was normal because I had not taken this math in years.  However, as I looked around the classroom, I could see a look of confusion on many of the students faces. 

Confusion may sometimes feel uncomfortable, but it, is important for learning.  A study by Sidney D’Mello found that when we are confused, we stop and think.  Working our way through the puzzle causes us to consider different solutions and deliberate —something we don’t have to do when problems are easyOnce we clear up our confusion, we’ve learned the material in a deeper way. 


The teacher gave the students some time to figure out the problem.  As I continued to watch, I saw the confusion disappear, replaced by determination.  Before long, some of the students had solved the problem and were working with other students to help them understand it. 


At the end of the lesson, I talked with the teacher.  He told me, “At the start of the year, most of the students just gave up.  Now, however, they realize that if they stay engaged and figure out the problem, the learning will stick with them.” He purposely gave them just enough information to cause confusion. 


The challenge for you: The next time you are confused, be persistent.  Think about how your body feels after a hard workout.  Your brain is also a muscle, and for it to get stronger, you must sometimes feel a little discomfort.  That discomfort will lead to longer-lasting learning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment