Sunday, February 13, 2022

college choice

 This is the time of year when students get their acceptance letters from colleges.  While any type of rejection stings, the fact that your dream school does not want you is hard to digest.  My first words of advice are: Do not panic.  Throughout my years as a teacher, I know many students who have not been accepted by their dream school.  I have long been a believer that the STUDENT is more important than the school. 

All schools allow you the opportunity to learn and to cultivate your passion.  Students who go to college and push themselves to get out of their comfort zone have a tremendous experience no matter which college they attend.   

You should examine the purpose of college.  If it is to cultivate your passion, push yourself outside your comfort zone, and learn, then all colleges provide these opportunities.  You should attend college for these reasons instead of worrying about building a resumé.  This way, you can find a profession that you truly love. 


Over the course of my career, I have seen students go to the so-called best schools and not have a great experience.  Other students who were rejected from these schools went on to have an extraordinary experience at what might not have been their dream schoolAgain, it comes down to what you want to get out of your college experience. 


Many former students who have gone on to college read this blog.  Feel free to share your comments below. 

3 comments:

  1. I ended up going to one of my "safety schools" and enjoyed being able to be one of the smartest people in the room. Also, my focus isn't just in school so I have been able to work a job I love and cultivate a passion for that, a privilege that I likely wouldn't have gotten if I had gone to one of my reach schools.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for sharing I think that is an important message

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you want to be a supreme court justice, your choice of college matters.

    If you want to lead a good and happy life, it doesn't matter in the slightest.

    ReplyDelete