Sunday, September 26, 2021

Are You certain?

 If you asked me 10 years ago what was the best way to teach, I am sure that I would have given you an answerI also think that my answer would have been phrased in such a way that my approach was the best. Now, however, I am less certain of most things and more curious. 

When another teacher suggests a different strategy or method, I am now much more inclined to ask questions so that I can understand the reasoningI’ll go watch them teach so that I can see the context of these strategiesWhat I now realize more than ever is that there are many ways to get students to learn. 


I am trying to apply this to approach all areas of my lifeIt now amazes me how certain some people are about so many issuesIf Covid has taught me anything, it’s that there is no certainty. As we learn more about the diseasethe science changes, as does how we should try to keep ourselves safe. 


This is not to say I do not have an opinionHowever, instead of trying to prove myself right or judging how others thinkI will think about what the other side of the argument is 


One of the goals of school is to get students to think criticallyto take in all sides of an issue and allow the newfound facts to change your mind. 


My challenge to everyone is to reach out to a person who thinks differently than youI think you will find out in the end that, even if they have a different perspective, they want the same things out of life that you do. 

While I am not certain is this right approach, I am curious about your thoughts. 

3 comments:

  1. Students will only learn if they want to learn, but there are many ways to teach. A good teacher is a "sage on the stage" who can read "the audience" and adjust for maximum effect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We try and we also are working to provide a better product for all your sons

    ReplyDelete
  3. My teenagers always seem certain and I am the one who admits, I'm not. I think they may view uncertainty as a sign of weakness. I seek other viewpoints in my professional and personal life to be certain there isn't anything I missed. Even then, sometimes we have to accept that we may never be certain and move forward the best we can:) I hope my boys catch on! Life is full of uncertainty and surprises! Love the blog Mr. Bressler!

    ReplyDelete