Sunday, December 2, 2018

college advice from a former student


You will change your mind about what you want to do at least a few million times and panic over your future. Eventually you’ll think you have something figured out, and then you’ll change your mind again. Don’t be like me and stress yourself over things that are years in the future when you don’t even know what your next year will look like. However, do explore different options and talk to other advisors. There’s a lot more resources in high school than in college, and you don’t have to be lost all alone. 
While we’re on the topic of resources, go to office hours. Even if you think you mostly understand the material, go anyway. You aren’t wasting the professor/TA’s time, given that helping you is part of their job. I can only speak to STEM classes, but the office hours helped me understand the material more deeply, instead of trying to memorize twenty formulas in three weeks and remember when to use each one. In one of my classes, I put in no extra study time for one test versus the next one, went to office hours four times, and my test score increased thirty percent. Had I realized the helpfulness of office hours, I would’ve gone a lot sooner instead of now trying to dig myself out of a hole. 
I never start class before 10 am. On one hand, it’s nice to wake up in daylight and still have time go to the gym, do homework, or just relax in the morning before going to class. On the other hand, I’m very jealous when my friends get to go enjoy the rest of their Friday starting at noon and I have class until 3. Starting late is nice, but when it’s the end of the week, ending late can be exhausting. Side note: if you aren’t going to use your mornings productively, don’t start late, and just get your classes out of the way earlier. 
On the topic of schedules, those one-hour gaps will never be used productively. Also, while you spend way less time in the classroom compared to high school, you have to teach yourself a lot more outside of class and the homework takes longer. Establish a good routine at the start so you don’t waste all the “free time” you have. 
Get ahead on your work when possible, especially in the beginning of the year. Some of your classes in the first semester may have material you’ve seen before. If possible, use it as a time to get ahead in the assignments so that you never have to stay up late and cram. Speaking of cramming, study for tests slowly over the course of a week. The material moves much faster in college, and you’re more likely to blank if you don’t spend an extended period of time reviewing concepts. 
I have a policy where I never do work past 10 pm, and I meticulously plan my homework schedule every Sunday night so that ideally, I do no work past 9. Doing work late usually takes me twice as long, I don’t understand or remember what I did, and I feel burnt out the next day. I’m never the smartest person in a room, but I’m usually the only one who did the work when they were fully awake. 
Sometimes your professors will grant extensions, whether to the whole class or you personally. One of the worst traps to fall into is to keep getting further and further behind and asking for more and more extensions. Take your extension, enjoy it, and barring extenuating circumstances, avoid future ones. Or you can spend Thanksgiving finishing overdue assignments, which is considerably less enjoyable than just doing your work on time in the first place. 
Another reason to stay ahead: there will come a time when you are completely burnt out and have nothing left in you. Sometimes you need to take a day to do absolutely nothing and worry about absolutely nothing (or four days, in my case, which was a very regrettable decision). If you always have a million assignments due tonight/tomorrow, taking a mental break day will never be possible. 
Mostly importantly, take care of yourself. Get enough sleep, eat regularly, and take time to do things you enjoy and get involved in campus activities. Keep in touch with your good friends from high school. Make new good friends in college. Have people who will be there for you when your life is going great, and who will be there for you when it feels like your life is on a downward spiral. Have friends who support you but are also willing to have the tough conversations with you and bring you back to reality. Have friends that look out for you and tell you to put the books away and go to bed. Talk to your parents on occasion because it makes them happy. Your relationship with them gets a lot more peaceful when you’re out of the house, and it can be nice having the two people who’ve known you the longest to be there when you need them. 
Personally, I’ve loved college so much, far more than I ever liked high school. The independence and freedom are amazing. Classes are so much more enjoyable when you’re interested in the subject, and you’re not stuck in the same building for seven hours a day. It’s a nice glimpse into life on your own, but without all the adult responsibilities that come with it. College might sound stressful, but it can also be the best times of your life.

5 comments:

  1. I loved reading this article. With the recent struggles of applying for colleges, waiting for acceptances and choosing a college i have been overwhelmed with stress. Hearing this slight bit of reassurance has greatly calmed me down for the crazy journey that we will endure.
    -Vincent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad you enjoyed it. Any college you attend will be lucky to have such a fine young man

    ReplyDelete
  3. To whoever you are, I am so glad you are doing great in college. My college experience has been very different. Since I am responding to your post, this means I feel strongly about my experience and would like to share with you and others.

    For some, and for most, your college experience, more specifically your freshman year will be the greatest time of your life. If you are like me, it hasn't been. My major is relatively easy. I am enrolled in four classes right now and already completed one online class. The way my schedule is laid out I have way too much free time. I know what you are thinking, "stop complaining about free time," but the thing is, I am not used to free time. I am used to being at school from 7am to 7pm 5 days a week, and that is what I enjoyed doing. The campus is not my favorite and I have had the craziest roommate situation. I currently living with my second roommate for the semester because my first one moved back home after an incident that happened to her off campus. I have lost motivation to go out and join clubs or attend events. I have even thought of dropping out multiple times and travelling instead.
    Despite all this I have made amazing friends. They are my favorite people in the world and I do not want to leave them which is making my thoughts on transferring schools even harder.
    Now, to anyone I just scared, please do not think that this will definitely happen to you. I hope that you will have the best college experience possible. My advice that I will give you is this: really take the time to decide what you want- what type of college setting or academics you want, whether or not you even want to go to college. IT IS OKAY TO TAKE A GAP YEAR. One of my best friends I met at college took a gap year and is now enrolled as a freshman with me. IT IS OKAY TO JOIN THE WORKFORCE. Make sure your choice is what you want to do.
    I currently am repeating the college search to look for another school to transfer to. IT IS OKAY TO TRANSFER. Do what is best for you. Take all of the opportunities handed to you and make great friends in college.

    I wanted to share my story from my first semester and let anyone in the same boat as me that you are not alone.

    Good luck to all you seniors in high school!
    P.S. Do not take a night class in college, especially Thursday night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This article has definitely given me some excellent advice. I have committed to a college to play lacrosse but there is always a voice of doubt in my mind as to if this is the right choice. I am still waiting to hear from the other colleges I applied to. I am optimistic in my choices so far and excited about my future. Thank you for the advice on scheduling!

    -Stephen Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really appreciated reading the comment about mot liking what college you are at right now. I wanted to let you know that you are not alone! I had the same experience my freshman year of college. I went out of state for my first year of college and thought I would love it! I was wrong. I didn’t realize how much I hated it there until I had a breakdown during Thanksgiving of that year. I decided to transfer schools very impulsively, move back home, and commute to Towson University. I thought I was a failure because I couldn’t survive that “out of state college life.” I have NEVER made a better impulsive decision in my life. Now I am two weeks away from graduating with a Bachelors in Communication Studies (a semester early), I have maintained a high GPA while getting involved in multiple things on campus, I have made a strong group of close friends, and I am speaking at my graduation to share this story. I’m not saying this to gloat or brag about my accomplishments, rather to tell you to trust your instincts and trust your gut. Don’t be scared about change, if I didn’t make this life change I wouldn’t know myself, I wouldn’t have figured out what my dream job is and then be able to land that dream job, and I wouldn’t have accomplished my academic goals. I hope this helps just a little bit in your college journey!! Embrace who you are and how you feel, listen to yourself!! The same goes for all of these people on this page :)

    - Erin Miller

    ReplyDelete