Sunday, May 13, 2018

Mental Health


I remember the day clearly, my student asked me what did I do when I found out one of our students had committed suicide.  As I told her, that I went into my younger son’s room and hugged him, I began fighting back the tears.  She came over to comfort me which was not exactly the behavior that our crisis team told us to follow.   I think however that the kids needed to see that I was human, that life was not going on like nothing happened and that the adults like students were really hurting.

A year later I found myself going to a new school embracing the work of Angela Duckworth more here and Martin Seligman flourish.  While I was teaching economics I was taking the time to have students write down  three good things that happened to them within the last 24 hours, share my three good things, put out a gratitude box, write gratitude letters, and  discuss vulnerability.  I wanted my students to master the content knowledge but more importantly walk away with skills that they can use for the rest of their life.

Our county changed our schedule in my second or third year at my present school.  While I disagreed with the change in scheduling it opened the opportunity for students to take more electives.  One of my strengths in the business world was taking bad corporate decisions and making them work for me.  I thought this was a perfect situation to do that and I proposed to teach an elective called “Positive Psychology” which was the science of how humans flourish.  My thoughts were that this class would be helpful for all students in transitioning from middle school to high school, while giving them skills to help them throughout their high school career.  What made it perfect is that all students would have an extra period to take it since we were going from seven to eight periods.

I was asked to present to our leadership team what this new course would entail.  I was surprised when some of them did not think our smartest kids needed this type of class.  It was almost like A’s meant happiness which I knew was not always true.  Some of them thought that in their departments the teachers were very positive.  Others thought that if we mandated this elective that some of their electives would not get enough support.  Still by the end of the discussion I thought we were a go.

I remember when the principal called me into her office to tell me that the leadership team did not think the course was worth doing.  I was totally shocked.  How can the leaders of our school not think that these skills were important for our students to learn?  In retrospect I now realize that I did not do a good job in presenting this proposal to the team and that our school was not ready for the change.

What is also important is to try to figure out how to continue to try to make the system better even when you are not supported.  We started a character group which consists of a group of teachers who meet to discuss issues about character.  This group also exchanges e-mails and hopefully passes these messages onto their students.  So while formally we did not get the class hopefully the message is moving throughout the school

A couple of years ago one of my former students wrote me an e-mail telling me, how her, very competitive, college was more compassionate than our high school.  How they seemed to care more about her well-being than our high school.  I remember how sad that made me and how I felt that I had let her down.  I thought back to my proposal of positive psychology and how these classes had become some of the most popular classes at many of our Ivy League schools.  How kids really did want to learn how to be happy.

Our countries schools have faced many crises since my student killed herself.  We have had school shootings, increase in anxiety and depression among students.   When these events happen we are very sad but it seems that nothing really ever changes.  Resources are not put to fixing the problems.

So what will get our schools to value our mental health in a way that we value our academic well-being?  I truly believe that the change in our school system will come from the generation that I teach today.  Some of them will become teachers, others will be parent advocates, while others will just be friends of education.  I think this is a generation of change which will make our world a better place on many different fronts.

Remember Happiness is the ultimate currency.  Think about what you are trading it for.

As always your feedback is appreciated.

3 comments:

  1. I completely agree. I get so frustrated when I see students putting their academics before their mental (and sometimes physical) health. It seems like no one gets enough sleep anymore. And it’s not their fault because we’re all taught that this is what’s important and the people that sacrifice sleep and time with family/friends are the people we should look up to and admire. And even if students don’t seem to need those positive psychology skills in high school, they’re definitely going to need it later in life. Maybe as soon as they enter college. Everyone at some point will struggle with finding happiness, and it makes sense to teach how to deal with that during high school where a support system is present.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though your Positive Psychology class may have not gone through I feel like one of the most important things I learned in your AP Econ class was just that. Creating the Dulaney Gratitude Facebook page turned it into a habit and now I write my 3 good things every day and I can see the difference it makes noticing what I am grateful for every day. I have some of the craziest days out there and really push myself academically and in extracurriculars but thinking about the little pleasures in life between walking to classes and keeping that positive mindset has kept me LOVING even the busiest of days.

    This was my first year as an RA and I really wanted to teach my freshmen residents the 3 good things technique in the beginning so they could adapt it as a way to keep up their mental health throughout college. I stuck a 3 good things paper on everyone's door once and got to read the great things from their day. I discussed this with another RA in my building and he did it too with quite a great outcome. Positive psychology is only spreading :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks to both of you for taking the time to comment. I used to do a sleep survey and I would say 95% of my students were sleep deprived which of course is totally unhealthy. Lyra thanks for spreading three good things to your freshman. I need to present the class again next year to the administrative team.

    ReplyDelete