Sunday, May 20, 2018

Happiness


Positive psychology is the science of human flourishing.  What psychologists have found out is that you can improve your happiness in the same fashion you might improve in sports, school or video games.  Happiness is not just a moment in time, it is about enjoying the journey to a destination that you care about.

As a young boy my father would give me things to do each day to become a better athlete.  It might be shooting 500 jump shots or drawing a strike zone on a wall requiring me to hit specific targets in the zone.  While my father was concerned about making me a better baseball and basketball player, what I have realized today is that he taught me to love the journey.

1.      So, what are some tips that you can follow to improve your journey to happiness.  Again, as a young man cigarette companies could advertise on TV.  One company’s ad was “more taste, fine tobacco, that what happiness is” Now in the moment, when my mom lit up her cigarette, it did bring her happiness.  I can see the relaxation and smile on her face when she smoked.  However, in the long run this brought about health issues which caused her (and the family) much sadness.  So, in the journey for happiness we can not only think about short term gains but we must also think about future gains.

2.      Your mind and body work together, so that taking care of your body is very important.  Most of us are sleep deprived, make sure that you figure out how to get your proper sleep.  Work on eating healthy, and exercising to keep your body in shape.  These factors build into the happiness equation.

3.      The journey becomes more meaningful when you keep a record of it.  A gratitude journal which you keep your three good things each day is a great way to document the journey (join our gratitude page).  I also know when I am struggling and having a bad day, that the three good things become more important as they refocus my mind on what is good instead of recalling all that is bad.

4.      Think about the things that make you happy and make sure to schedule them into your life.  A lot of times in the day to day grind we lose track of what makes us happy.  It is important to schedule time to maybe eat with a friend, time to read a book or play a video game.  These little things add up as we move through out happiness journey.

5.      Recently before going to bed each night, I forgive myself and others for things that we did wrong.  When I focus on the forgiveness exercise I can totally feel my body relax as I am preparing to go to sleep.  Then when I wake up each morning I re-commit to my goals.  One of my goals each day is to think about what I can do to make myself just a little bit happier than yesterday. This might bring me into a teacher’s room who I have not seen for a while, a discussion I want to have with some students, helping someone or just relaxing at dinner with my family.  The focus however is just to commit to do something that will make me happier.

As in all learning the curve is not linear.  This happiness journey is not going to be one that you get happier each day than the day before.  It is also not a journey in which you end at a specific destination.  It is more like a journey in which you continue to grow.

Take one of the five suggestions above, implement them and tell me how they work.

4 comments:

  1. I really like number 5 and not only forgiving others after each day but also yourself. It’s easy to be really hard on yourself and hold on to it and be negative about it but forgiving yourself after each day could really help that and lead you to wake up and have a better day the next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Casey, number five is my favorite. I was doing it without really forgiving myself for a while but now in the habit of totally letting go. Thanks for taking the time to comment and also good luck on winning states

    ReplyDelete
  3. #5 Hit the spot with me because personally, that is my biggest flaw. Sometimes I have difficulty forgiving others for their mistakes; I hold grudges. This preconceived notion of negativity/hate towards others because of something silly they did crowds my thoughts. But I realized that the only way I can fix my crude perception of others for mistakes they've made is by understanding the mistakes I make. The same way I would want someone to forgive me for some tiny blunder, is the same way I should forgive them. Which is why I'm glad you included "myself" into that message Mr. Bressler. I can be more understanding of others by being more understanding of myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adam practice it for a week and let me know how it works out. Thanks for taking the time to comment

    ReplyDelete