Saturday, November 15, 2014

Class discussion

The other day in one of my economics classes we had an interesting conversation about gender, and racial prejudice.  In many cases students believed that these issues were things that went on in my generation (60's generation) but have since disappeared due to a more educated society.

Here are a couple of statistics that I took from an article written by Paul Thomas.

  • Drawing on the report Closing the Race Gap by the nonprofit advocacy group Young Invincibles, Forbes’ Susan Adams explains: “African-Americans college students are about as likely to get hired as whites who have dropped out of high school.” Therefore, inequities of opportunity based on race, like class, trump effort.
     
  • Via Demos, Bruenig also notes: “Black families with college degrees have a mean wealth of $162.8k, which is effectively the same as the mean wealth of white families with less than a high school education.”

  • Just to add to this in our class we looked at the top 500 companies in the world and they have 25 women.  Which makes you wonder why women are not better represented.  You look at leadership positions in high school and women are at least equally represented.  When you exam GPA's women do at least as good as men, so why the difference when it comes to running the top companies in the world?

    If the playing field is level, as people claim it is,  how do these inequities happen?  If the playing field is not level, why are we made to believe that they are?  I am very curious to hear what people have to say about this issue.  Should this be a topic that we discuss in our classrooms?

    2 comments:

    1. "If the playing field is not level, why are we made to believe that they are?"

      Good question.
      I really had no idea about this.
      I didn't know about the 'race gap' as Susan Adams calls it, and I didn't know about the gap in women holding leadership positions either..
      I don't really pay attention to class rank.. but I know that the two top ranking people in our class are girls.. both of who(m) have the brain power to run all 500 of those Fortune 500 companies at once.

      25/500 is mind-blowing just because in school I don't see any difference in leadership- actually I think if I would have to say, I see more girls taking initiative in leadership positions than boys.

      I'm definitely going to look into this more. I want to look into Mary Barra (current *and first female CEO* of General Motors (and any large automobile industry) and also Katharine Graham (Washington Post CEO 1972, first woman CEO of a Fortune 500 company).
      this is really a important topic/issue/'reality'.

      Thanks for getting me thinking, as usual!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Thanks for taking the time to respond to this issue. I think this issues are important for us to discuss and have knowledge about since many of you will be in positions to hire people. There was definitely a time when Domino's attracted great women candidates because they did not have good alternatives.

      ReplyDelete