Monday, April 21, 2014

reflections of my four years

I recently asked students to write a reflection on their growth during their four years at Dulaney.  Since I started Dulaney the same year that these students were Freshman I thought I could also do the activity.  I remember my first week at Dulaney, I gave my psych class of 18 (that size will never occur again) a quiz.  One student passed the quiz and the next day one person dropped the class.  A couple of days later, two students passed the second quiz.  I went to the Principal, and told him not to let anyone else drop the class, that someway I would make sure that everyone passed the AP exam.

Since the Principal brought me to Dulaney, he felt obligated to stand by me.  However, at the end of the second week a nice young lady came up at the end of the class to tell me that everyone wished that they had the other psychology teacher.  I thanked her for her honesty and took a deep breath.

It seems like such a long time ago, but during that time I realize what great support I had at a totally new school.  The other psych teacher was amazingly helpful and we built a synergy that would benefit all of our students.  I also started my journey which started with GRIT and has now brought me into the whole science of positive psychology.

As I continue to read, implement, and discuss character with my students and peers, I realized the change in myself.  What used to drive me crazy does not bother me at all.  Do I sometimes lose it, yes, it happened the week before we went on vacation.  However, instead of being mad for a month it took a week to realize that while I disagreed with the decision, it is not worth getting that upset about.

What I most appreciate during my four years at Dulaney is the type of students that I have had a chance to work with.  While on any given day 50% of my students are smarter than I am, what most impresses me is the type of people that they are.  They are not only intelligent but most importantly, thoughtful, kind, and caring individuals which have helped me grow as both a teacher and a person.

As I continue to struggle with how to make students feel like Valued Partners and how best to implement character into the curriculum, I know that I will get plenty of help from my students.  This years students have already given me a couple of ideas that will make next years AP economics better than ever.

So in looking back over the four years I think I have more GRIT and much more self control over my emotions.  I think I have been tested this year and truthfully besides the one outburst I have done a good job and keeping perspective.


2 comments:

  1. Speaking as a past student and future teacher, I think you've done a great job. You were one of the few teachers at DHS who had a truly positive impact on my life and inspired me to go into education.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the nice words and I am extremely glad that you are joining the teaching profession. You should stop bye school when you come hone after the semester

    ReplyDelete