Monday, August 26, 2013

Data

In education data is becoming the new wave.  What really surprises me is how bad we are at using the data.  As an AP teacher for many years I can not remember the last time I had a conversation about my results.  Yes, I get the "good job" when I perform but we never look into the numbers.

Recently I had some of these conversations with my colleagues.  Did any of your students exceed expectations?  Who improved the most throughout the course of the year?  Did any of the students surprise you by failing the exam?  If you had the same students who failed the exam, what would you do differently to make sure that they passed?  How will you change your instruction based off the instructional report that your received from college board?  Did your grades match up with the results of your students?

All of these questions lead to good honest discussion which actually might make teachers better.  Instead their is either silence or good job.  My question is why?

No comments:

Post a Comment