Sunday, November 12, 2023

Lessons from Coach

 

Lessons from Coach

 

A couple of months ago, one of my friends was booing at a baseball game. When I asked my friend why he booed, he told me he paid money for his ticket, and he could boo if he wanted.

The conversation triggered a memory of when I was an assistant basketball coach. We were playing our archrival in a keenly contested game. In the last seconds, we were up one point. Then we fouled the opposing team, sending them to the foul line with a chance to tie and win the game. To rattle the opposing shooter, our fans started to boo.

Within seconds, Coach called for a time-out. He then went to the score table to get the handheld microphone. He told the fans that we did not boo at this high school. If we booed again, he would pull the team off the court, and we would forfeit the game. He then placed the microphone back down on the score table. He sat down next to me and said, “Teachable moment.” This happened 30 years ago, and while I cannot remember whether we won the game, his message was unforgettable.

Next year, we had a transfer come into our basketball program who was touted as the best player to ever play at our school. During one of our first practices, Coach blew his whistle and called a foul on the new transfer player. The player replied, “Coach, the refs never see that.”  Coach replied, his voice rising with each word, “We want to win here. We, however, never intentionally violate the rules. If you cannot play within the rules, you should go back to your former high school.”

After practice, I asked Coach, did he think any other coach would have reacted in the same manner as he did? He said, “I do not get paid to worry about other coaches. We win a lot of games here, and we do it the right way.”

When I was named head coach of another school, I went to thank Coach for everything he taught me. I asked if he had any last words of wisdom. He said, “Many coaches talk about character. Be the type of coach that builds character.” That challenge resonates with me to this day.

3 comments:

  1. Agree wholeheartedly. One thing - this is my first time coming across this blog. When I read "When I asked my friend why he booed, he told me he paid money for his ticket, and he could boo if he wanted", I immediately thought "this guy is from Philly". True or false?

    ReplyDelete