Sunday, December 4, 2022

Thanksgiving leftovers

 

I was recently invited to a former student’s athletic Hall of Fame induction I was looking forward to seeing her but did not realize the other folks I would encounter at this event.

 

As I tried to find my table, I bumped into my first educational mentor. As we caught up, I was reminded what a kind and positive person she is. When I first started teaching, she was able to explain to me the politics of education while reminding me what a blessing it is to teach students.

 

Next, my former student walked in with her family. She had graduated from University of Pennsylvania and was starting her masters at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, she told me, which reminded me that she was both a great athlete and a great student. What came across in talking with her, however, was that she is an even better person.

 

I then realized that another former student of mine was being inducted that night into the Hall of Fame. As I went to say hello to him, he told me that he was now the track coach for his alma mater. I noticed how excited he was at the prospect of becoming a full-time teacher. It has been a long time since I have seen a young person that excited about teaching.

 

Lastly, I ran into a friend, one of the best science teachers I have ever known. As we caught up, I could hear the excitement in his voice as he talked about new strategies and how he was working to improve his craft. Another truly great person.

 

As I walked out, I realized how lucky I am to be in the field of education. These are four examples of the many great students, teachers, and mentors I have met along the way. I have always felt teaching is about heart and soul, and this evening truly increased both of them in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment