Sunday, May 1, 2022

What the World Needs Now

A friend recently asked me what I would talk about if I were to give a commencement speech.  That is truly a tough question. A lot of thoughts ran through my mind.  Finally, I settled on a couple of points that I think would help the country become a better place.

My first point would be to listen like you’re wrong.  Too often, we are not listening to the other person’s viewpoint but rather are formulating an argument to prove them wrong.  When I listen like I am wrong, I find that I learn a lot, and it often allows me to change my perspective.

Secondly, make generous assumptions.  Do not believe that other people have bad intentions. They likely want the same outcomes that you do.  When I talk to parents, most want a good education for their children, a safe place for them to interact with their friends, and a happy, fulfilling life for their family.  The differences of opinion are usually about how to get these outcomes.

My last point is that sometimes we talk about making the world a better place.  That seems like a daunting task to many of us.  You can, however, make the world better by just making someone smile or opening a door for another person.  The other day I was eating out when I saw a daughter go help her father up out of the chair.  The older man was using his daughter as a crutch as they walked to the bathroom.  I asked the woman, “Do you want me to go into the bathroom with your dad?”  She was so thankful, since she now did not have to worry about him falling down.

In summary, what the world needs now is love. Take the time each day to reach out to someone.

1 comment:

  1. My family has a few favorite quotes that we employ as appropriate - your post this month reminded me of one in particular.

    Similar to your premise, Robert Kennedy was giving a speech to the nation's youth, ultimately priming them to strive to create a better world. He famously noted, "Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope". I think the same is true in your examples: when a smile is shared with someone downtrodden; when a door is opened for someone burdened; or an anxiety is lessened for a caregiver.

    Hope and Love are wonderful companions! As, it seems, are the ideals of Bressler and Kennedy.

    ReplyDelete