Sunday, November 14, 2021

Advice

 

A former student recently got in touch with me to ask for some career advice.  While my response was focused on the workplace, I think it can also apply to school.

My first recommendation was to volunteer for the hard jobs at work.  When you are taking on the most difficult tasks, it will force you to take your game to the next level.  The same would be true for those attending college: Take some difficult classes with tough teachers.  When you are uncomfortable, it forces you to stretch yourself.

Secondly, be a great learner.  If there is one strategic advantage a person can have in the workplace, it is the ability to learn.  If you are a great learner, you will be flexible because you are able to adjust to different situations.  While nobody can truly predict the future, those who learn and adapt will be able to thrive.

Do not worry about what you have to do to be promoted.  Focus on the job you are doing and do it to the best of your ability.  Allow your performance to speak for itself.  The same can be applied to those in college.  Do not worry about building your resume.  Instead, focus on figuring out what you enjoy and what you want to pursue as a career.

Finally, yet importantly, develop a network of strong friends—people who you can trust to help you solve difficult problems and who will rein you in when you are off base.  All jobs have their down moments, and these are often the people who will provide support when you need it most.

My former student asked me if I followed my own advice.  I let him decide.  Hope this is helpful and would love to hear some feedback from both those in the business and academic world.

4 comments:

  1. Test comment - trying to see if my internet lets them through? Or maybe comments are moderated? Ignore :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops! I guess that means my former comment was too long. So sad. Shoulda copied and pasted it ahead of time!

      Delete
    2. (I think it got lost in the “publishing”)

      Delete
  2. When I was in grad school for teaching, a common refrain was "be aware of the toxicity of the teacher's lounge." I think that was and still is REALLY good advice, but I know that it also limited my ability to establish friendships with coworkers early on.

    Like all things there needs to be a balance, but finding the people you can rely on at work is really critical for professional and personal reasons.

    ReplyDelete