Sunday, May 2, 2021

Generosity

 This past weekend, I visited a friend at his summerhouse to play a round of golf.  Neither of us are very good golfers, but we enjoy the game.  As we played, the conversation turned to generosity. 

“I never in my life expected to have the financial success that I have had,” my friend said to me.  Sometimes I feel guilty.”  I was surprised to hear him say this, because he uses his business to give people a second chance.  My friend hires many people who have had drug and alcohol problems.  He is the first to admit that not all of them work out, but enough do that it has made a tremendous difference in both their lives and his own.

 

As we played our round, he told me that if any of his employees has a favorite charity, he will sponsor it.  He wants to set an example for his people to be charitable and believes that showing support for their favorite causes is a great way to do that. 


My friend is trying to step away from his business, and one of the requirements in the sale is the pledge that the company will donate a certain amount of its profits to charity.  While the company will eventually be under new management, he wants to ensure that the legacy of the company includes investing its profits in charitable ways. 


As the round ended, I was truly inspired by my friend's generosity.  As we were walking off the course he said, “Not everyone has the money to give to charity.  Most of us, however, have time that we can give to help others. 


My friend models kindness every day (more about kindness).  It shows in how generous and caring he is as a person. 


The challenge my friend makes to everyone: “What are you going to do today to make a difference in others lives? 

No comments:

Post a Comment