Sunday, May 17, 2020

Tribute to our Seniors


 A group of us started this journey last summer.  When the regular school year began, the full class came together.  While the start of the year was familiar, the way we ended it was quite a shock.  


Your dedication to learning the material was second to none.  I was continually impressed by how many of you would come before school, spend free time during the day, or stay after school to master the material.  Your effort did not go unnoticed.


During class this year, we worked on vulnerability and trying to get students to understand that we all make mistakes.  It was fun watching you add to the Bressler’s Blunders board, which eventually led to me hitting my goal of blunders.  You realized that even the so-called expert (me) blunders way more than any other student in the class


I truly appreciated the great questions that came from you throughout the year.  There were often questions that were outside the curriculum (which was great) and questions that helped clarify the curriculum.  Your curiosity was inspiring.


You guys also brought changes to my teaching that will benefit my students in the future.  I logged the suggestions you gave me on the feedback forms as well as the questions you thought needed to be clarified.  Your feedback has helped improve my teaching more than any professional development in my career.


What was even greater to see, however, was how helpful you were to each other.  When looking at the class, I could consistently see one person helping another, making each other feel comfortable asking for help.  It was also great to see a person who normally asked for help giving one of our stronger students some help on a problem.  


The last few weeks have been challenging, but we have overcome the obstacles put in front of us.  One student told me that if this is the way he was going to end his academic career, he was going to go out swinging.  That seemed to be the attitude of most of you


I will leave you with one last piece of advice.  Sit in the front three rows of all your college lectures, ask questions, and visit the professors during office hours.  


Thanks again for a great year. Remember, I owe you donuts (blunders), so when we are allowed, we will have to gather one last time.  Never hesitate to call if I can be of any help to you.



With love, gratitude, and admiration,

3 comments:

  1. It has truly been a pleasure to be in your class. I appreciate the long hours that you put in to help me succeed. I also want to thank you for being more than just a teacher. Mr. Thaler once said, “At Calvert Hall, we teach the student first and that material second." You truly exemplify this statement. Thank you for being an incredible educator and mentor this year!

    Chip

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. Bressler, your class was truly amazing and one of my favorites. Thank you for being such a motivated teacher. All of us appreciate it so much.

    Greg Deyesu

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank both of you for the kind words. Easy to work with great young men like yourselves

    ReplyDelete