Sunday, November 3, 2019

Guest blog on how you learn values from a part time job


Money was the only motive.  It was the one thing I intended to gain from enduring 6-hour shifts on summer nights at my local Olive Garden™️. At that point, I thought I had my life pretty figured out: good grades, great friends, a clean reputation as an approachable and modest guy who could roll with the crowd, activities that I pursued passionately, and an ability to focus in high pressure situations.  I just needed some spending money.

And then I actually started bussing tables and realized that my outlook was like a soggy breadstick—not technically wrong, but falling so short of the profound reality of the warm, velvety firmness of a fresh breadstick.  I got a lot more than money from my job.  I know, it doesn't sound that enlightening to work at the fine-dining establishment of, well, Olive Garden, but I'll express to you what the boss-man told me: "This ain't no teeny-bopper summer job scooping ice cream!  This is the real deal, baby: Olive Garden, we're an $8 billion company!"  And I must confess, being on the very professional OG Busser Team 3 changed how I viewed high-stakes performance and my own successes.



I thought I knew what humility was.  I didn't.  Humility isn't being really good at something and not talking about it.  Humility isn't being modest or feeling uncomfortable when someone touts your accomplishments for you.  Humility isn't reminding yourself that you are only one person, one regular guy.  What truly humbled me was walking in to my job and finding myself to be the least skilled, the least efficient, the least valuable.  That was foreign to me.  I am often a strong performer in a class, or one of the better musicians in a band; even with sports, I might not have been among the best on every team I’ve played on, but I certainly was not the worst.  Admittedly, I was a rookie busser, but that didn't change the simple truth: I was the worst.  Adapting to that meant completely changing my mindset.  In the beginning, I had to concede that I was the one who needed help and was weakest—and then transform myself from the weak link into a dependable teammate.



I thought I knew what it meant to be so focused, so driven, so desperate to succeed with every fiber of your being... and then clutching it out as if by fate.  I've poured out all the verbal virtuosity I could muster onto an 8.5x11-inch paper in one night; I've radiated laserbeams of concentration with my fingers flying across the keys of my saxophone and my brain 100% locked in; I've summoned every iota of energy on the field or the track in championships. But going to work made me realize that I still knew nothing about delivering under high pressure.  The achievements that are important to me are important - but not as important as the check that the single-mother bartender, Lenaya, is depending on to feed her kids, nor as important as the tip that the waiter at Table 106, James, urgently needs to pay his rent on time, nor the bonus that the 57-year-old busser, Antonios, is so ardently toiling for to pay his daughter's legal expenses for immigration.  The stakes are higher than any championship.  I'd volunteered at soup kitchens and witnessed struggling people right before my eyes, but external views alone don't truly allow single motherhood, rent deadlines, and other real issues to be more than abstract concepts. 



I came to the understanding that the survival of the teammates to my left and right was partially dependent on me, and that made those problems not necessarily more real, but more personal.  Their worries became things that weighed ever so slightly upon me, too, and that's how I gained some empathy, not just sympathy.  The desire to gain my coworkers' respect and trust motivated me more than a biweekly check. I never would've felt that kind of motivation if I "rolled with the crowd" and scooped ice cream with a gaggle of other teenagers.  Olive Garden gave me more than just a paycheck; it added new depth to my values.

5 comments:

  1. This is a truly excellent post. I think this shows how around this time of year seniors suffer from “college essay syndrome”: we create a persona of ourselves that we think will be appealing to an essay reader, but this persona can differ starkly from who we truly are. When this caricature of ourselves is put to the test by the trials and tribulations of life, it all too often crumbles. What this post really reveals is the power of doing. By putting ourself through hard and taxing situations, we find out what truly drives and motivates us. It allows us to discover what we prioritize in our life and what our values really are. As a great American film once said, “Dodgeball doesn’t build character; it reveals it.” Dodgeball is the game we play in our lives. Even if we don’t like what we find out about ourselves in the midst of struggle, we can rest easy knowing that there is always an opportunity for improvement tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that this post reflects what a lot of high-schoolers are actually like. Not every student has a part time jobs, in fact I would say over 50% do not. This is a problem in regards to the things you stated. When you mentioned the single-mother or the waiter trying to make rent, I hope people are immediately remembered of something outside of their life. The experiences you talked about is like living in a bubble. The bubble is nice, it is your comfort zone, and you are pretty proficient at the skills you use in your bubble. But the bubble sucks because it is not the real world, not even close.
    At this point, I feel that I am reminded everyday that "College isn't the only option" and "the best training you are ever going to get for a job, is at the job". While these two phrases do not relate much to bread sticks, they do relate to the real world. Outside of our Calvert hall bubble, life is not all about trying to get a 12/12 on the next AP Econ quiz or trying to trying to memorize as much as you can about Zen Buddhism for a religion test. It is about working together with the people to your left and right, just like the guest author stated. Because while I am worried about whether I am getting into #1 college that I just submitted an application for, Larry, a coworker at my summer job this past summer, is just trying to get enough money every week just to feed his kid. Even if that means that Larry has gets up at 5 am to be at work 6 am on Father's day while putting in 60 hours a week.
    In my mind, as cliche as it sounds, it all relates back to perspective, Perspective is one of the greatest teachers because it introduces different viewpoints without changing the base argument. By living in our own bubbles, we lost perspective. We forget about Larry and Antonios. We forget about the values of empathy and compassion that society tried to teach us in kindergarten. I am glad to hear that gained perspective working at Olive Garden. So many times summer jobs are just looked back at as sources of money rather than real world experience. I also hope everyone can escape their bubble just like you did. I would not be where I am today if I did not experience similar things as you did at one point in my life. Life is not simply about me, myself, and I. I hope everyone can try to remember that when they leave their bubble and get a job at olive garden :)

    -Greg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post provides a great insight into how working in the service industry can change your entire mentality. Often, people think the difficulty of this industry stems mainly from having to accommodate customers. From my experience, this is not true at all. We grow up learning to accommodate people, whether it be helping our parents with chores or something as simple as helping a lost parent find the school theater. The real twist in the service industry comes with being relied on by your coworkers. Sure, many industries involve collaboration. Even in school, we often engage in group projects. Yet at restaurants, we must go beyond mere collaboration. You must become part of a efficient, working machine. Not only that, but a machine that has been in place long before you arrived. Then, you show up, and it is your job to complete that machine. What do you do then, when you realize that you are the weakest link. There can't be a stripped screw or a dented cog. Nothing will work. The machine will slow down. Despite this you keep working. Why? Because the team still needs you. You will get better with time, but you can't give up. Unlike a broken machine a restaurant staff can't be replaced with perfect parts. You may be the weakest link, but the only way to get stronger is by holding on. That's what separates the service industry. You can't think as an individual. Nor can you think as a team. You must think about how you essential in the team. After all, only the weak link, the novice, clueless part-timer, can fill their role.

    -Tim Maher

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think there are some very powerful lessons in this story. First, I can 100% relate to this story because I work at a grocery store. At first, I thought this would just be a minimum wage job. I’d clock in, do my job well, and clock out. However, I began to care more about the employees and customers at the store. I found myself picking up more hours in part for the money. However, I felt that I owed the managers other employees the extra help, since they had helped me a lot during my training period. I have begun to look forward to work because it is a relief from my regular school routine and the stresses that come with it. It keeps me busy enough for eight hours that I can forget about school, however, it also does not drain all my energy.

    To be honest, this job has taught me the value of patience. You could never get more diverse group of customers than at a grocery store. You get everybody from dads who just want to get home for the game (and could care less how the groceries are bagged) to the senior citizens (who want the paper bag “squared” at the corners and inside a plastic bag). Each type of person has needs and it is important that I take care of all those needs—no matter how obnoxious or how long it takes. Great post!

    Chip

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love this message. Humility is something that is so hard to attain because it requires a complete surrender of yourself to vulnerability. Understanding that it is not something of just being quiet instead of listing your success is only surface level. Jesus is the ultimate example of humility. He became their servant even though he was the son of God, loved others with no ulterior motive, and literally washed the feet of the disciples. I think that to be truly humble we must be fully open to discerning God's call in our lives and respect others. Thanks for this, Finn Gaudreau

    ReplyDelete