Sunday, May 5, 2019

Transition




I was walking down the hall when a student asked me could we talk in private for a minute.  The student was worried about his transition to college.  The student expressed that one of  things he liked best about our school was having relationships with his teachers and was scared that would not be possible at the college level.


I assured him that it was normal to be nervous about the college experience.  That for some they might be nervous about the social aspect, other the academic and yet others the first time away from home for an extended period.  Some students show their nervousness while others hide it.

My first piece of advice was to sit in the front three rows of any lecture.  Ask questions of the professor and answer questions when the professors ask.  Putting yourself front and center allows the professor to at least be able to recognize you.  I also recommended taking notes by hand (no computers) as this way there are less distractions.  I know personally when I am at meetings where I have my computer I often am checking my e-mail etc.


Secondly, go see the professor during office hours.  These hours are scheduled so that students can get to know the professors.  You can ask them to clarify some points that were discussed in the lecture.  You also might ask them questions that were not covered in the lecture that you are curious about.


While this part will not allow you to build better relationships I thought it was valuable.  It is harder to be a C student your freshman year than an A student.  If you are an A student, you have built a strong foundation in your introductory courses so that the next level of classes will not seem difficult.


However, if you are a C student freshman year those second year courses are even more difficult.

When I finished talking with the student he said that is what he does now in high school which hopefully will make his transition a little easier.


When I finished talking with the student he said that is what he does now in high school which hopefully will make his transition a little easier.

I know some former students sometimes read the blog let me know if there is anything you would add.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Mr. Bressler, I just read your recent blog post. I think another point of advice to add would be to recognize that the students have more intellectual worth and right to be heard than they think they do. A large barrier that I found, particularly here, was that "wow this famous scientist/historian/literary expert is talking to me, I couldn't possibly contribute/discuss anything sophisticated or of use." But every professor I've met here has viewed their undergraduate students as people that deserve to be heard and are active voices in intellectual discussion (as should be), and that has helped so many students feel at ease in classes and really develop their own ideas, even if some of those ideas are flawed. I don't know how prevalent this kind of attitude is at other universities - I think Harvard fosters an amazing sense of dialogue and connection between students and their professors - but I think the point still stands and is applicable. The most important thing for your student is to place confidence with themselves to try and start those conversations in the first place, as you said within office hours or asking questions after lecture



    Michelle

    Type a message...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think all students are both excited and slightly nervous about college, more than likely more nervous than anything. The thing that to try to remember about the transition is that coming to Calvert Hall has put us in a better position than most to succeed. The lecture halls, six day schedules, resource centers, and teacher offices were build for the specific purpose to prepare us for the college environment. Whenever i think about how different the college life will be i try to focus on the good that will come as to not induce an existential crisis that will in the end not fix anything.
    - Henry Jones

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know most students are either very excited or very scared of moving onto college. I for one dread it but also somewhat look forward to it. High school has been very wearing on me and I hope that college will be better but I just feel deep down that it won't and it will be hard for me to get into the swing of things. Maybe I'll be ready, maybe I won't but I do know that maybe high school wasn't as bad as I remember.
    -Michael Brown

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am very much excited for college because Calvert Hall has prepared me, but personally my college is smaller than Calvert Hall. Mt siblings have all graduated from college and I have seen the different approaches to the change. But I will use this advice in the future as I'm sure there will be plenty of surprises over the next 4 years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Calvert Hall has laid a solid foundation for college. Many students, including myself, have picked up great habits that will help us in college. I think Calvert Hall does well to prepare us for college, especially in the time management area. With the amount of free time we receive, we are able to properly manage our workload, just like in college. This is one of the most important skills I think Calvert Hall has to offer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think Calvert Hall has one of the best college preparatory programs around. Personally, I become very nervous around people so I know it will be hard for me to make friends at college and especially talk with the professors. If I were to sit in the front three rows of the lecture and class, I feel I will become more engaged in the subject and hopefully the professor will see that. Overall, I am very excited to be going of to college to have a new experience, and also to see where my life takes me. If I could go back and start freshman year over again, I would use the resource centers more and talk to the teachers one-on-one more. But as the day comes closer to begin college classes, I try and think of the good that can come out of the day rather than the anxious effects that may come to be.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I believe that Calvert Hall has prepared me for college in more ways then just education. the prep that we go through is, in my opinion, on of the best college preparatory programs that I know when it comes to the lectures or the classes. I also believe the atmosphere puts one in the right mindset when planning to go to college.
    _ Brandon Hawkins

    ReplyDelete