Sunday, April 14, 2019

divided attention


It is always a great pleasure to run into a former student.  This student triggered off a memory because at the start of the school year she was really struggling.  She was normally a high B student who was consistently getting D’s on my assessments.  I remember when she scored an A on her second straight assessment I asked her what changed.

I was truly expecting, came to reviews more often, spent more time but instead she told me that she used to read the text book while talking to her boyfriend and for the past two units she would call her boyfriend after reading the book.  What amazed her was that she read the book quicker and understood the information better.  To make things even better her boyfriend appreciated that when they were talking her focus was on him.  So, for her it was win, win, win.

She mentioned to me that what really made her realize that multi-tasking does not work was the demonstration we did in class on dichotic listening.  A student volunteered to sit in the middle of two people who would be reading to him.  The student in the middle would repeat word for word everything the person on the right was saying. The person on left at the same time was reading a different text book to him.  At the end of the minute I would ask him what the person on the left was reading about.

The student in the middle had no idea what the person on the left was reading about.  They did not even realize when that person changed languages during the reading.  The only thing that they might have noticed is when the student on the left mentioned the name of the student in the middle.  This demonstration made her realize that she often did not know what she had just read because her focus was more on her boyfriend’s conversation.

Now with exams approaching, how can we get the most out of our time.  Try modifying your situation like my former student.  Make sure when you are reviewing for exams that you have no electronic devices around you.  Give them to your parents or just put them in another room.  When studying at school make sure you are in a place where there are no distractions.

Hopefully, like my former student, focusing on one task might help you learn the material better without spending more time studying.



Next week some tips on studying for finals

12 comments:

  1. Focusing on one task is certainly more effective when you have only one task that's urgent. However, multi-tasking is a skill that can and should be trained, because more often than not, you have to micromanage things in life on both the small and immediate scale, and over long term as well. Budgeting is a great example of multi-tasking over a large scale over a long period of time. As technology advances, people become more and more on the move, therefore leaving less time to sit and focus on one thing.

    --Jack Basmaci

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is interesting to see how multiple things happening at once can really affect someone. Staying focused on one thing is always a better option, especially when it comes to economics!

    -Travis

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do not believe that anyone can truly multitask but i do use one study strategy very effective for myself. I like to leave a quizlet open all the time on my laptop so if i ever have a few minuets between classes or i aimlessly find myself scrolling the endlessness if the internet i can in one click be studying. I also find this effective with lecture notes to leave them open a few days before the test as a reminder that i have a test on the information in the coming days but also as a quick option to get some work done. I typically do not get distracted by other things on laptop once i begin to study and try to focus until i get to the end of the notes in there entirety. This i would not call multitasking but studying in small incremental units before a test.
    - Henry Jones

    ReplyDelete
  4. multitasking is a good way to get two things done at once. However, it can usually affect your performance in both tasks. If you manage your time better, you can do the two things separately and by giving each thing your undivided attention, both tasks will be completed better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe focusing on studying is very very important and can often be difficult. I often try to multitask and, although it can sometimes work, it often results in poor work or ends up being more stressful. It is hard for me to focus without isolation and that can often be difficult for me since there are so few times and places I can do this. When I can, however, I do because it is so effective.

    --Will Cook

    ReplyDelete
  6. I believe that focusing on one task is much more effective than multitasking. For me when I attempt to multitask i often gets distracted from my main goal and get sided tracked. I have tried to study while listening to music, or watching TV but it doesn't work for me. I learn the information better by focusing on one thing at a time. -- Anthony Perrera

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that I use multitasking as a way to avoid focusing on a topic I don't like. But I've been working on trying to focus on one thing at a time to make my work quality better. Studying has always been difficult for me, so I've started listening to some music and it's actually helped me a bit to get that quality I've been looking for.
    -Ben Hooper

    ReplyDelete
  8. I find that the goal of multitasking is almost impossible. Instead of trying to pull yourself in many directions, consider prioritizing. For example; if I have a AP physics test approaching and a Spanish packet due around the same time; not only do I need more time dedicated to physics, but Spanish is of the lesser-important classes in the lens of my college studies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I find that the action of multitasking is virtually impossible whether it be during studying or doing everyday tasks. When you multi-task, you are constantly have your mind shift from one subject to another and it is very hard to memorize or even attain the information you are reading. Even something as simple as listening to music while I read or do homework is hard sometimes because of the distractions of the music. I have noticed in the past that when I put my phone off to the side while I do homework, I am able to get the assignment done quicker, and I believe that realizing the difficult nature of multi-tasking will be helpful in my future college studies.
    --Michael Berg

    ReplyDelete
  10. I find I have to make it IMPOSSIBLE to use my electronics (the internet) when I'm writing a paper/studying. You can use a chrome plug-in called StayFocused to block certain sites (I chose youtube, facebook) for a chosen number of hours. Sometimes, I've set it for a week straight. You can also block sites for just certain hours of the day, however I've found I'm happiest when they're totally gone. If you ever reaaally need to use a site, for research, you'll find a way - go to the library computer for example. If youre using the chrome plugin, make sure you dont have any other web browser apps downloaded. On your phone, you can use an app called No Willpower (such a sad name!) - it's free on the app store.

    The thing I want to stress the most is how much happier I am when I'm away from wifi. I completelt honestly believe I become addicted to it if I don't intervene - and when I do intervene, I don't miss it. And I'm so so so much happier. More awake, more engaged, more excited to work. I think it's because I finally got to focus on every. Thing. I was doing (cooking, eating, sleeping, talking) without my attention clouded by the residues of constant internet use.
    Next year I'm even considering finding a sublet without wifi. I figure, my phone data plan is enlugh to cover the essentials (emails, maps, google searches), but wont be enough for me to waste it on frying my brain with constant internet input!

    Anyone else have thoughts on internet addiction, or tough to break habits?

    ReplyDelete