Saturday, February 9, 2013

Respect for the game

In watching Ray Lewis throughout his career I have never heard him talk negatively about another team or other players.  It appears that Ray has learned how hard it is to play the game of football at the professional level and he has respect for all of those who do it.

As educators we have to bring that same respect for the game to our job each and everyday.  We need to realize how hard it is to be a student, and show real respect for them each day they enter our classrooms.  In order to keep me on track I have developed a transformational statement.

I am a transformational teacher who has a position of responsibility that lends
 me a platform where I can be an example for students to reach their full
 potential both academically and as a person, through mutual respect,
 openness, perseverance, and commitment.

Three core values

belief in students
perseverance
commitment

In shaping this statement, I had some of my students look through the statement and help me focus it.  They changed the order of the statement, one wanted me to add the fact that my job was to make them a better person, and finally I replaced the word power with responsibility.  As a student pointed out to me that teens hear the word power and they want to revolt.

I have sent this statement out to the faculty and told them to hold me accountable for the statement.  If they hear that I am not holding up my end of the bargain to call me out on it.  I am also going to post it in my room so my students can see it and also hold me accountable.

Teaching is a journey, which I love.  The great part for me is that there is tremendous room for improvement.

No comments:

Post a Comment